The greatest European crypto history event ever will take place in June 2018. The Call for Papers has now been published.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The International Conference on Historical Cryptology (HistoCrypt 2018) invites submissions of long and short papers to its annual conference on historical cryptology. The conference will be held in June 18-20, 2018 on the English Park Campus of Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden. Please mark your calendars.
HistoCrypt addresses all aspects of historical cryptography/cryptanalysis including work in closely related disciplines (such as history, history of ideas, computer science, AI, or (computational) linguistics or image processing) that is sufficiently formalized or applied, with relevance to historical ciphertexts and codes.
We welcome everybody interested in the field of historical cryptology (classical cryptography and cryptanalysis) to participate in the event. We invite submissions to HistoCrypt, either short or long paper, for presentation at the conference, which will be evaluated by a program committee. The conference’s subjects include, but are not limited to:
- the use of cryptography in military, diplomacy, business, and other areas
- analysis of historical ciphers with the help of modern computerized methods
- unsolved historical cryptograms
- the Enigma and other encryption machines
- the history of modern (computer-based) cryptography
- special linguistic aspects of cryptolog
- the influence of cryptography on the course of history
- teaching and promoting cryptology in schools, universities, and the public
Considering the location of the upcoming HistoCrypt 2018 at Uppsala University, special attention is encouraged to the heritage of Prof. Arne Beurling and his role in breaking the German teletype ciphers.
Participation in the conference is mandatory for at least one author of each accepted paper.
HistoCrypt 2018 represents a continuation of the highly successful European Historical Ciphers Colloquiums (EuroHCC) held in Heusenstamm (2012), Kassel (2016), and Smolenice (2017). Considering EuroHCC’s growing popularity among the crypto historians and cryptographers and the established HICRYPT network on historical cryptology with over 50 members from 20 countries around the world, our aim is to establish HistoCrypt as an annual, international event. The first event in the series takes place in 2018 at Uppsala University, Sweden.
We invite paper submissions in three distinct tracks:
- regular papers up to 10 pages (including references) on substantial, original, and unpublished research, including evaluation results, where appropriate;
- short papers up to 4 pages (including references) on smaller, focused contributions, work in progress, negative results, surveys, tutorials, or opinion pieces;
- short papers up to 4 pages (including references) on system demonstrations (demo).
Presentations of accepted papers are either oral, poster, or demo, which will be decided by the program committee.
Papers accepted for presentation at the conference will be included in the HistoCrypt 2018 proceedings, which is published as part of the Northern European Association for Language Technology (NEALT) Proceedings Series (http://omilia.uio.no/nealt/?task=publications) by Linköping University Electronic Press (ECP: http://www.ep.liu.se/ecp/index.en.asp), as freely available Gold Open Access. Publications in the Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings are ranked on the Norwegian register for scientific journals, series and publishers as Level 1 publications. Please consult the responsibilities of the authors concerning publication ethics and malpractice statement as described on the ECP website: http://www.ep.liu.se/ecp/index.en.asp#tab4. Paper submissions that violate these requirements will be returned without review.
The proceedings will be also published in the anthology of the Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL Anthology: http://aclanthology.info/) in parallel. Printed proceedings will be available on request for a fee.
- Friday, January 26, 2018: Submission of Papers
- Friday, March 30, 2018: Notification of Acceptance
- Monday, April 30, 2018: Camera-Ready Manuscripts
- Monday and Tuesday, June 18 & 19, 2018: Main Conference
- Wednesday, June 20, 2018: Workshops, Meetings
All submissions must follow the HistoCrypt 2018 style files, which are available for LaTeX (preferred) and MS Word and can be retrieved from the following address:
Submissions shall be anonymous, i.e. not reveal author(s) on the title page or through self-references.
Papers must be submitted digitally, in PDF, and uploaded through the on-line conference system. The page limits for submissions are: up to ten pages for regular
papers, up to four pages for short papers including bibliographic references. Paper submissions that violate the requirements will be returned without review.
Submissions to the conference must follow the above requirements and be uploaded electronically no later than:
Friday, January 26, 2018 23:59 CET
HistoCrypt utilizes the EasyChair conference management system for submission, reviewing, and preparation of proceedings. Submission for the conference will open December 1, 2017 at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=histocrypt2018
Reviewing of submissions and selection of the conference program will be managed by the HistoCrypt 2018 Program Committee. All submissions will receive at least two double-blind reviews by experts in the field.
- Beáta Megyesi (program chair), Uppsala University, Sweden
- Bernhard Esslinger (cryptology), University of Siegen, Germany
- Otokar Grošek (cryptology), Slovak University of Technology, Slovakia
- Benedek Láng (history), Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Hungary
- Mark Phythian (intelligence), University of Leicester, UK
- Anne-Simone Rous (history), Saxon Academy of Sciences and Humanities, Germany
- Gerhard F. Straßer (history), Emeritus, Pennsylvania State University, USA
To inquire about the submission and reviewing process or generally the scientific program of the conference, please email ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’.
The HistoCrypt 2018 Local Organizing Committee is comprised of staff from the Department of Linguistics and Philology, Uppsala University, Sweden:
- Eva Pettersson (local chair)
- Bengt Dahlqvist
- Beata Megyesi